Wednesday 27 June 2012

Preparing for Breastfeeding

We are delighted to welcome Tina Bailey from Mother Geek to our blog today.  Here she writes about Preparing for Breastfeeding....

My second baby is due in just over a weeks' time. My hospital bag is packed, her cot is built, her clothes are washed and the double pushchair has been delivered. I am officially ready!

As it is Breastfeeding Awareness Month, I thought I would share with you what I think is or isn't necessary to buy ahead of time if you plan on breastfeeding. This list is my own personal view, and I am sure other mums will have a different list. When I had my son, the only thing I bought in advance of beginning breastfeeding was some breast pads. This time around, I have been much more prepared! I feel some of the items below are an absolute MUST HAVE when it comes to breast feeding.

Number 1 on my must buy list is a natural nipple cream - it provides a barrier between your nipple and baby's mouth. In the early days, your nipples may get sore and cracked, this cream cools, soothes and helps you to heal. If you choose a 100% natural one, it does not need to be removed before you feed your baby! 

The second thing every breast feeding Mum will need is a breastfeeding bra! My advice is to get a cheap one as close to your due date as possible, then go and get measured once your milk has come in, so you know exactly what size you need. I bought 4 when I was 35 weeks pregnant with my son - they were too small when the time came to use them! 

My third must buy product is not necessarily something every single new mum will use, but cooling pads helped to ease my discomfort a lot last time I breast fed. If I were you, I'd probably add these to your "might need" list - in case you end up sore like I did. Cooling pads can be refrigerated, and I suppose they are the modern day equivalent of cabbage leaves. They are a lot more discreet in my opinion!

The fourth item on my must buy list is breast pads. I found disposable ones worked best for me last time. They are available from many brands, but I prefer ones with an adhesive back to hold them in place. They absorb any leaks and protect your clothes from milk stains.

The other things I bought last time are more personal to me. You may not need these items, but it is good to know they exist ahead of time - just in case.

Nipple Shields are a thin, latex shield which creates a barrier between your breast and your baby, while still allowing them to latch on and breast feed normally. They are helpful if you are sore or bleeding, and can be used short term, or permanently. Nipple Shields are available in different sizes and some come with sterile tubs. I think you need to see them before you buy them, so you have a good idea which size will fit you best.

If your nipples are flat or inverted, then a Latch Assist tool is something else you might want to consider. It's a small pump which will gently draw out your nipple to then allow your baby to latch on correctly. This is another product which not everyone will need, but it's good to know they exist. 

If you are struggling to breastfeed, or want to start stockpiling your milk, you may decide to buy a breast pump. My advice is to wait until your baby is here and you know if you intend to breastfeed long term before buying one. I was determined to breastfeed my son, but after 3 weeks of hell, I switched to expressing milk and bottle feeding it to him instead. If you will be expressing a lot, then I'd advise getting an electric pump. If expressing milk be more of an occasional thing, then a Manual Pump will probably do the job well enough. If you do decide to express breast milk, you'll need to consider how you will be storing it, as well as how you'll express the milk. It is also worth noting, you should never buy a used pump as there is a risk of cross contamination. You can always rent a hospital grade pump if you don't want to purchase one - these are suitable for multi users.

Some mums like to wear breastfeeding clothes, which allow discreet feeding. I used to wear one of my pregnancy bump bands under my top to cover my belly, and then lift up my normal top to allow feeding, while keeping my tummy out of sight. Some mums use blankets or sheets to keep themselves covered. I never liked doing this, as I found it difficult to see what my son was doing.

Remember, everybody's breastfeeding situation is different. What one person needs won't always apply to someone else. If you are unsure about anything, ask your  health visitor, midwife or your local breast feeding counsellor.

Written By MotherGeek

Kind Regards, 

Tina Bailey

TWITTER: @TheMotherGeek
FACEBOOK: MotherGeek


No comments:

Post a Comment

We love getting your comments, thoughts and feedback. So please share.