Wednesday 13 April 2011

Can you still breastfeed with a baby in SCBU?

When your baby ends up in the Special Care Baby Unit (SCBU) it can be hugely distressing. Not only is it difficult or impossible to breastfeed your baby if they're hooked up to monitors or in special incubators, but the stress of it could have an effect on your breastmilk supply. Yet poorly babies need the goodness breastmilk gives even more than normal. So how do you do it?

This real mum shared her experience with us.

I am a mum of 4 children and 1 angel. I have breastfed my last 3 babies each of them after a c- section. The 1st 2 were ok although I had all the normal problems of cracked and very sore nipples, odd bouts of mastitis and blocked ducts.
My youngest was rushed to SCBU not long after birth as she had breathing difficulties. She ended up being on CPAP ventillation for 5 days and due to that couldn't breast feed at all. I was given a breast pump when she was about 12 hours old (much earlier than normal but as I was an experienced breast feeder they let me start earlier as I insisted she had no formula) and I pumped from then till she was 5 days old at which point she was able to start to feed from me directly.
My milk came in at 48 hours after birth with no problems and I had lots!! I could fill 4 100ml bottles every 4 hours! Once she was able to feed from me directly she went from totally being tube fed to losing the tube within 12 hours and did really well. I am not sure if the expressing helped or the fact I had been breast feeding my youngest at the time until 5 months pregnant, but I had no sore or cracked nipples this time round and no other problems at all.
Lottie is now 18 months, big for her age and still breast feeding.
Sally xx.

It's great to hear inspirational stories like this. If you have a similar story to tell, please share it with us. We really want to let mums know what other real mums do to help them in their breastfeeding journey. 
Don't forget to check out our range of nursing bras!


No comments:

Post a Comment

We love getting your comments, thoughts and feedback. So please share.