Sunday 10 April 2011

The benefits of breastfeeding - what real mums think

There are plenty of experts and reams of medical papers citing the benefits of breastfeeding. But we asked some real mums what they thought the benefits were. Bonding is a big one, but there's much more too. See what these real mums have to say:

Bonding ... and just get up & go!
I have a daughter who is now 18 weeks and I would say that breastfeeding has been a fantastic bonding experience for both of us. I worried at first that it wouldn't be enough as you can't see what is happening, but she has put the right amount of weight on which makes me think "Wow I did that!" I think my biggest worry was breastfeeding in public - getting funny looks from passers by. I have to say this has not been the case and I have felt completely at ease feeding her whenever and wherever I go. I have also found it really easy to just 'get up and go' no bottles to clean, prepare and warm - so easy when you just want to get on with enjoying life with your little one!
Clare Wilkinson
A great start in life, bonding, pregnancy weightloss ...and the chance to catch up on tv!
"I'd never really thought that much about breastfeeding - throughout my pregnancy, with so many things to consider, feelings on how to feed my baby didn't really feature until the last month.  However, coming from a country where the proportion of women breastfeeding their babies is so much higher than the UK (I think it's around 90% of women breastfeed for 6 months), I'd assumed it was the natural way to go.  Coupled with the fact that I'd had chronic asthma and eczema as a child, by the time I approached my due date, I was determined that I would breastfeed my baby for the recommended six months.

Well.....we're nearing six months and I don't intend to stop for at least another six months.  After a quick, natural birth, Joseph latched on within 20 minutes and has fed beautifully ever since.  We've had no problems - no painful engorgement, no cracked nipples, no mastitis, it's just been lovely.  I wouldn't say easy, Joe fed every 1.5 - 2 hours in the beginning and only now at 5.5 months does he sleep through the night without feeds.  He still feeds every 3 hours during the day for at least half an hour at a time, but I see it as a good opportunity to catch up on America's Next Top Model (don't judge me!)

I feel so lucky at having has such a good ride with breastfeeding, especially when so many of my fellow mums have given up because of numerous obstacles.  Breastfeeding offers so many benefits - the knowledge that you're giving your baby the best start in life, a BIG helping hand in pregnancy weight loss, and most of all, the chance to start the lifelong bond with your child."

Sarah Newman
Share your breastfeeding stories with us below! And don't forget that we have a range of nursing bras and tops to help you on your breastfeeding journey.


No comments:

Post a Comment

We love getting your comments, thoughts and feedback. So please share.