Wednesday 6 April 2011

Breastfeeding after a c-section

Having a C-section makes many things post birth a little bit more tricky as you have a very tender tummy. But is breastfeeding one of them? New mum Hazel Gulley shares her experience of breastfeeding after a c-section:

My daughter was born after an emergency section and sites and people always warn you how much harder it is to feed post-section.  I didn't find this at all.  She was popped inside my gown as soon as they could for skin to skin and travelled with me to recovery.  We were there quite a while and she just did that amazing baby thing they do where they scuttle across, rooting and find their way to the milk.  She just latched on and that was us! 
We had a few feeds in recovery and she was a natural and I wasn't at all hindered by the section.  I rested her on my big belly well away from the scar area and used a pillow to prop me so I didn't have to use any muscles to keep us in the right position.  Absolutely no pain or discomfort. 
Once I was back to the ward and the spinal had worn off it was much the same.  I can't imagine many newborns would be fed in a position where they'd be near your scar and its no problem when you're well propped up.  Feeding lying down is also handy when you can't quite get yourself propped up comfy!  
I love breastfeeding and honestly found no problem at all in feeding after the section.  I don't think it had anything to do with it being my second time either - I'm actually not sure why feeding post section would be tricky.  The hardest bit is reaching over to pick them up and at least you don't have to get up to get a bottle!

Hazel Gulley
If you are breastfeeding, take a look at our range of nursing bras, designed to ensure you're comfortable and well supported.

If you have a positive story about breastfeeding after a c-section, please let us know below!

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love getting your comments, thoughts and feedback. So please share.