Thursday 18 November 2010

Thinking of extended breastfeeding?

This week's guest blog post is written by Katie Gunn, an Irish mum of three, whose blog is Kate Takes 5. She's got some great advice for mums who want to do extended breastfeeding but who might feel under pressure - for whatever reason - to give up.

~~~
Six and a half years ago I gave birth for the first time. Whilst still in the delivery room, amidst the pain, exhaustion and confusion I managed to successfully breastfeed my baby daughter Kaya for the first time. Since that moment I have never looked back.

Fortunately I was one of the really lucky ones who never experienced any problems with feeding - so I kept going with it, and going, and going...

Initially I had thought that I would have to stop feeding as soon as I returned to work. But with the helpful advice of a local nurse I realised that I could wean Kaya off her day feeds and keep going with the night time ones.

Most of my fellow work mums thought I was crazy and looked at me in bemused bewilderment each time they asked 'Still feeding then?'. But it was more than worth it for me. Being able to continue that special bond with my daughter, despite the fact that I wasn't able to be around during the day was, for me, irreplaceable.

When Kaya reached 20 months and I was 4 months pregnant with my second child I finally decided that it was time to take a break. Though it wasn't for long! My second son came along 5 months later and was breastfed until 14 months, when he decided he just wasn't that interested in it anymore (it took me awhile to get over that one!). My third boy is now 2 years old and is still feeding at night.

Understandably this arrangement wouldn't suit everybody - but as a mother it's great to know that there are options available to you - even if you are forced back to work, or are unexpectedly pregnant again, or are feeling pressure to give it up. My advice would be to explore your options fully before making any big decisions.

The bottom line is that whatever feels right for you is right for you - so trust those mothering instincts.
As an aside, and with absolute integrity, I would highly recommend Emma Jane's feeding bras to any mothers who are breastfeeding, or planning to breastfeed their babies. I only discovered them during my third pregnancy and was so impressed I bought one in every colour. They are extremely comfortable and are excellent value. If only I had known about them 6 years ago!

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love getting your comments, thoughts and feedback. So please share.